From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2013 23:48:25 -0400
Hello everyone, hope birding has been productive where ever you are in OH,
sounds good overall.
I haven't posted in a while even though I've been daily in and around Big
Darby Creek and the wetland complex.  Seemed like it would be good for
passerines so I spent the morning BDMP and the Darby Greenways wetlands.
 Flycatchers have arrived and lots of warblers are still about, many using
the high canopy.
Highlights 5/24
Two Olive-sided Flycatchers (1 in top of tall oak in mixed pine/deciduous
woodland boarder overlooking sports field at MP entrance; 1 Loop Trail DG
wetlands); Willow and Alder Flycatcher ) the former DG wetlands, latter
singing fee--bee-a, often just fee-bee audible, when both same pitch due to
accent on second syllable, unlike Willow; northside Kuhlwein Rd. on tops of
broad leaf shrubbery away from cattails, about 2/10 mi. Kuhlwein Rd.).

Best birds were two well seen Nelson's Sparrows in a matted grassy/bush
area in the same spot I found the colony of Sedge Wrens DG wetlands last
year. Face pattern with broad Baltimore Oriole orange triangle, with black
cap and broad gray collar.

Warblers
Tennessee 3
Yellow 21
Chestnut sided 4
Magnolia 4
Cape May 2
Blackburnian 2
Bay-breasted 1
Blackpoll 5
Redstart 9
Worm-eating 2
Kentucky 2
Mourning 3
Yellowthroat
Wilson's 1
Canada 6

Other notables
hybrid Mall X AMBD (apparent male with glossy green crown, broadly covering
head from eye to eye and upper neck; a very dark bird dark gray brown,
solid on mantle, flank pattern with little complexity typical of AMBD
featering mostly solid gray, strong contrast at neck to face, mostly white
tail)
NPintail (three females flying around pond at bleachers Loop Path DG
wetlands - 1st I've seen in area since species departure 4/8-10)
Redhead (3 males, large N pond T/H wetlands)
Least Bittern
Northern Harrier 1 f.
Broad winged Hawk 9 (all late spring migrants, imm)
Black-billed Cuckoo 3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  12
Sedge Wren 1 (in same area as Nelson's)
Grey-cheeked Thrush 1
Swainson's Thrush 5
Lincoln's Sparrow 9 (a late high count, 2 singing)

Highlights for 5/25--Kuhwein Rd. and wetlands
Shorebirds still strong, Semipalmated Sandpiper peaking, Least past peak.
Black-bellied Plover 3 (2 ad. , 1 probable first year, in odd plumage/molt
partial black belly yellowish breast pure white under tail coverts;
possibly due to illness/retardation.)
Semipalmated plover 145
Kildeer 32
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
Spotted Sandpiper 12
Ruddy Turnstone 4
Semipalmated Sandpiper 150
Least Sandpiper 11
White-rumped Sandpiper 31
Pectoral Sandpiper 1 (Very late; my last one here was May 7)
Dunlin 29

American Bittern 2
Great Blue Heron 7
Cape May Warbler 2
Yellow Warbler 19
Grasshopper Sparrow 18
Henslow Sparrow 5
White Crowned Sparrow 3
Bobolink 5
Scarlet Tanager 2

Hope everyone is having a good week end.   GOOD BIRDING

--
David Tan
Columbus