From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2013 22:10:03 -0400
I couldn't atke a long trip today, but fortunately migration was good in nearby parks.  In the early morning, I birded Jeffrey Park and Mock Park, 2 parks along the inner, most urban stretch of Alum Creek.  Migrants were fairly diverse, but numbers were not particularly high.  They included:

Flycatchers - Acadian & Great Crested at both parks, along with E.Phoebes
Swallows - Tree, Rough-winged, & Barn at both parks
Vireos - Red-eyed at both parks; Warbling at Jeffrey, 2 Yellow-throated at Mock
Wrens,Gnatcatchers - House Wrens and Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers common at both parks
Kinglets - single Ruby-crowns at both parks
Thrushes - 1-2 Wood Thrushes at both parks
Mimids - 2-3 Gray Catbirds at each park
Warblers - 12  species between the 2 parks, with Yellow, Parula, Nashville, Tennessee (8-10 total), Magnolia, Chesnut-sided, Black-thr.Greens, Yellow-throated, Blackburnians (2 at Mock), Yellow-rumpeds (20+), Palm (1 at Mock), Hooded
Grosbeaks,Buntings - Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (2 & 4), Indigo Buntings (2@Mock)
Tanagers - 1 singing Scarlet at Mock
Icterids - singing Baltimore and Orchard Orioles in flats along Big Walnut Creek along eastern edge of Mock Park
Sparrows - nothing unusual; White-throated #s in sharp decline, with only 2-3 at each park
Finches - Purple Finch eating elm seeds in Mock; singing Pine Siskin at jeffrey

Later in the morning I had a chance to bike around Woodside Green and Academy Parks in the Big Walnut Greenbelt in Gahanna, and had a somewhat similar list of species, with the following additions:

Flycatchers - 1 calling Least Flycatcher, along with 1 E.Kingbird, & 2 Great Crested Flycatchers
Vireos - 4-5 singing Red-eyed
Wrens,Gnatcatchers - large #s of House Wrens and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
Thrushes - 2-3 Wood Thrushes
Warblers - 10 species, highlighted by 15+ Yellow-rumps, 1 Bay-breasted, and 2 American Redstarts
Tanagers - singing Scarlet and Summer, both in Woodside Green