From:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2013 18:09:54 -0400
The OSU Ornithology Club completed a big "day" (5:00 p.m. Friday until 5:00
p.m. Saturday), and managed to see 124 species, which was just 2 short of
our previous record from 2011.  Among the highlights:

Friday Evening:
-A single Black-crowned Night-heron still roosting at Confluence Park (Same
location many birds roosted at this winter)
-Virginia Rail and Sora at Battelle Darby Metropark (Teal/Harrier Loop)
Common Nighthawks flying over Morrill Tower on OSU's campus

Saturday:
-Great songbirds at Blendon Woods and Woodside Green.  As Andy Sewell and
others have mentioned, it was a great day for warblers at Blendon.  We had
22 species of warblers between the two parks.  In addition to the birds
listed in previous posts, we had a Pine Warbler on the pet trail at Blendon,
2 Black-billed Cuckoos and 2 Veerys on the Brookside trail, and a really
secretive Kentucky Warbler at Woodside Green by the bridge on the west side
of the creek.
-Nesting Bald eagles at the north quarry on Haul Road.  This location also
had a late lingering Horned Grebe in full breeding plumage, and is probably
the easiest place to see Bank Swallows in Franklin County.
-A good diversity of shorebirds and grassland birds in the winter wheat
fields north of the Teal/Harrier loop at Battelle Darby Creek.  We had
Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper, Dunlin, Pectoral
Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated Plover, and Wilson's Snipe, and
Killdeer.  In addition, Vesper and Savannah Sparrows, Horned Larks, and
American Pipits are fairly reliable in this area right now.
-A singing and displaying Male Bobolink near the parking lot of the
Teal/Harrier loop.

Notable omissions from our list included a few "gimme" birds, such as
Cooper's Hawk, Brown Thrasher, and Barred Owl, and the Yellow-crowned
Night-herons were off the nest when we drove by on Friday.

If anyone else on this list has done a big day in Franklin County, or would
like to do one, many in our group would certainly enjoy hearing about it!
We have found that in the 3 years we've done this event, we've learned
something new about the county's natural (and not so natural!) areas each time.

Good Birding,
Alex Champagne