From:
Heather A <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather A <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2013 10:52:49 -0400
Migration really came full circle for me this weekend, when the birds whose
arrival I have been awaiting finally managed to show up along my road in
western Athens County.  I got 5 new FOS birds on Sunday alone, starting off
early in the morning with both Black-billed and Yellow-billed Cuckoos
singing and calling.  A Summer Tanager was heard calling in the early
afternoon, and my long-awaited Indigo Bunting was found in the late
afternoon.  I spent a good amount of time searching for my FOS Kentucky
Warbler in the early evening hours as it called and sang all around me, but
never got my bins on it.  Other highlights for the day were a male Blue-grey
Gnatcatcher observed gathering spider webs (he flew out of my line of sight,
so I don't know where his nest might be), and a male Ruby-throated
Hummingbird performing a pendulum display in the woods.

On Saturday, I picked up a few other FOS birds, including a Green Heron and
Spotted Sandpiper at Lake Snowden (the Osprey was still present there, as
well), and a Baltimore Oriole in a tree just above our deck, a new property
bird for us!

What a fantastic time of year for us birders. I hope everyone is getting a
taste of migration mania!

Good Birding!
-Heather Aubke
Albany (Athens Co.), OH