OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:24:13 -0400
Add the Valencic horse barn to the Junco artificial nesting environments.
They nest in the loft between the bales of hay near the back door.  I leave
that door open about 12" starting early April and we typically have three
clutches of young each year.  The second batch just 'fell' into the lower
barn last Friday and were encourage outside by the anxious parents who get
them into the bushes and shrubby plants at the edge of the woods.

We also have a family of Barn Swallows in the lower part of the barn and
these young will probably leave their nest (above a light fixture) in a week
or so.  This moves us to leave the main barn door open about 12" to permit
the adults easy entry and exit.

Outside we can see a Downy Woodpecker entering its nest hole in a dead tree
repeatedly throughout the day. Babies can be heard as she enters.  The
Bluebirds do the same and a Flicker is nesting nearby as well.  All in
cavities of standing dead trees (mostly Ash).

The final, noisy baby of this summer is a Great Horned Owl!  It screams all
night long, letting its parent(s) know where to bring the shrews, mice,
voles and pieces of Crow they gather.

It's great to  live in the country!

Matt Valencic
S. Russell, OH