OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:38:58 -0700
After several repeated visits to a traditional Lark Sparrow site along Blue Rock Rd. in w. Hamilton Co., I finally found one, non-singing, in a crevice under a concrete slab which sits upon a dirt pile in an undeveloped area of the condominium complex. When I got out of the car, the bird flew across the field toward Blue Rock Rd. where I sometimes park to scan the wires and listen for the song. That is where I had a singing male Lark Sparrow on May 1st of this year, but I've tried in vain to find them here again to confirm any nesting attempts. This is supposedly one of the more reliable places to find them in w. Hamilton county, but finding a non singing bird was a stroke of luck, and knowing where to look.
I could see the bird's harlequin face pattern of chestnut, black and white, and its central breast spot. This bird also had a flattened crown, and was fairly large in size for a sparrow, about the size of a white-crowned. When the bird flew I could see the long rounded tail, but it was difficult to pick up on the white outer tail feathers as the bird flew over a white background, a poured foundation for a condo building.
As I was leaving I also heard a Blue Grosbeak singing.

More details on cincinnatibirds.com.

David A. Brinkman, M.Ed.
1631 Kellywood Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45238-4011