OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
Steve Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:46:16 -0400
Bill,
I have to throw out a few thoughts on this topic. I won't get too in-depth
but the DCC is different from many native birds in that it nests in colonies
and the result of that nesting is destruction of habitat for other birds and
animals. One of the problems that we have as animals living in an area of
other animals is how we affect them and they affect us. When the deer
population gets too high in a populated area we have to step in and return
it to normal. No one is pushing for the elimination of deer, just the
ability for us to live the way we want with them. As for the DCC I'm all for
eliminating them from the small island ecosystems on Lake Erie because that
is a valuable study area for a specific rare community. In other less unique
areas they should be left alone including your aforementioned island in the
sand and gravel pit. One thing we have to be careful of is spending our time
and energy fighting a battle that is really not that important when other
issues such as habitat loss, pollution and development are much more worthy
and far reaching. DCCs area hardy species and aren't going to be eliminated
from the state.
Steve Hughes
Stow