OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2013 20:47:44 -0400
I dashed between these 3 neighboring MetroParks this morning, hoping that the cool weather would keep birds active and singing well into the late morning.  I started at Groveport's Blacklick Canal Park, then focused on the Buckeye section at Walnut Woods, the forested ravines of the 5-Oaks trail at Slate Run, and the Ridge Trail loop of Chesnut Ridge.  I could not relocate the Alder Flycatcher at Slate Run , but still had quite a few interesting birds scattered between all 3 sites, including:

Black-billed Cuckoo - certainly one of our most elusive local species, I had one fly into a small tree at the Buckeye area of Walnut Woods.

Empidonax Flycatchers - Acadians were still abundant at Slate Run ravines (15+) and Chesnut Ridge (12+).  Single Willows were calling at both Walnut Woods and Chesnut Ridge.  No sign of the Alder at the turnoff for the Shady Grove picnic area.

Vireos - lots of Warbling along Walnut Creek, while Red-eyed dominated at Slate Run & Chesnut Ridge.  Two Yellow-throated were at Slate Run and at Chesnut Ridge, and 2 White-eyed were calling at Groveport Blacklick Canal Park

Thrushes - no Veeries, but Wood Thrushes were abundant at Slate Run (16+) & Chesnut Ridge (12+)

Mimids - Catbirds abundant and Widespread.  A Mockingbird was singing at Walnut Woods (Buckeye section), while a Brown Thrsher was calling at a wood edge at Groveport Blacklick Canal Park.

Black&White Warbler - 2 more were found, both singing males along Walnut Creek in Walnut Woods

Blue-winged Warbler - a pair was carrying food to a hidden fledgling along the Ridge Trail at Chesnut Ridge

Kentucky Warblers - 3 singing in the ravines at Slate Run was a good #, but none were found at Chesnut Ridge

Hooded Warblers - good numbers in the forest areas of Slate Run (4+) and Chesnut Ridge (5+).

Ovenbird - only 1, singing from the first ravine west of the Shady Grove Picnic area at Slate Run

Yellow-br.Chats - singers at Groveport Blacklick Canal Park, Walnut Woods, and Chesnut Ridge

Tanagers - Scarlets common at Slate Run (4) and Chesnut Ridge (3).  The only Summer was calling along Amanda Northern Road in Chesnut Ridge

Rose-br.Grosbeaks - 1 was singing at Walnut Woods, while a pair and a male were singing at Chesnut Ridge

Blue Grosbeak - 1 was singing around the entrance to the Buckeye area of Walnut Woods

Orchard orioles - 2 were singing along the bikepath at the Buckeye section of Walnut Woods