OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
Dick & Jeanette Esker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dick & Jeanette Esker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2013 12:49:01 -0400
Here is the report from Jon Benedetti:

Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:32 PM
Subject: Today's MBC outing - The Wilds

Today's Mountwood Bird Club outing to The Wilds in Ohio was attended by Sandy Albrecht, Grace Arnold, Lucine Wright, Mike Wine and I.  We were driven back into the car four or five times in the morning, but then had pretty good weather. The birding was good to excellent all day.

A good number of species and good numbers of individuals as well.

   Highlights:  "**" of special note

Green Heron - 2

Black Vulture - 1

Osprey - 6 - (two were chicks)

American Coot - 1

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 2

Chimney Swift

Eastern Phoebe

*Willow Flycatcher - >10

empidonax - sp.

Eastern Phoebe

Eastern Kingbird - >10

White-eyed Vireo

Yellow-throated Vireo

Purple Martin

Tree Swallow

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Barn Swallow

House Wren

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Eastern Bluebird

Wood Thrush

Gray Catbird

Northern Mockingbird

*Brown Thrasher - >20

Cedar Waxwing - >8

Blue-winged Warbler - 1

Yellow Warbler - >15

Prairie Warbler - 5

Common Yellowthroat - >15

Yellow-breasted Chat - 6

Scarlet Tanager - 1

Field Sparrow

*Savannah Sparrow - 4 - a couple in great view for a minute or more.

*Grasshopper Sparrow - >10 - numerous great views singing and not singing.

*Henslow's Sparrow -3 - one in great view singing for 3-1/2 to 5 minutes.

Swamp Sparrow - 2 - one in great view and singing for two or three minutes.

** Lapland Longspur - 1 - winter plumage male. Wrong plumage and place for June. CR 20

Indigo Bunting

*Bobolink - lots and lots, and just about everywhere we went

Eastern Meadowlark - lots and lots and everywhere we went

Orchard Oriole - 6

Baltimore Oriole - 2

Other birds:

Canada Goose