OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2013 16:50:23 -0700
Today we launched the H.M.S. Hoover for our second foray at the north end of
Hoover Reservoir. The weather was wonderful with mild temperatures, light wind
and sunshine. We concentrated with the areas around White-tail Deer Island,
Mudhen Marsh, the islands near the west shore, then crossed over to monitor the
area along the northeast shoreline. Our prime target was locating Prothonotary
Warbler territories. We located 19 new territories in the coverage area bringing
the year’s number to 126 thus far. We plan to sail down the east shore next time
out, a maze of more nooks and crannies than a Thomas English muffin, with
territories galore if prior years are a good measure. With the perfect water
levels it is adding up to another marvelous year for the PROWs.
Of course PROWS are not the only birds around (I have to admit that) and we did
enjoy some nice species. As soon as we launched we saw the first Yellow-billed
Cuckoo and many Double Crested Cormorants (the ones that knew better and go
north to the lake and meet their fate). We saw six Red-headed Woodpeckers today
and this brought the breeding pairs in the preserve up to 13 found in 2013. They
are doing great around the preserve which is encouraging. Great Crested
Flycatchers seem to be having an extraordinary year as I have seen numbers
greater than I ever remember. The Bald Eagles are doing well. An adult was at
the nest with the eaglets who are as big as the parent are close to fledging.
Osprey, Scarlet Tanagers, Baltimore Orioles all added color to our day. A list
for the day follows.
Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

SPECIES LIST