OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:29:49 -0400
This past Saturday, the OSU Ornithology Club spent a day exploring Scioto
and Adams Counties in southern Ohio.  We began our day in Shawnee State
Forest, where we drove on parts of forest roads 14, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6.  We
then spent the afternoon driving around some of the back roads of Adams
County, and ended up near the Nature Conservancy's property on Wagonner
Riffle Road, where we listened for Chuck-will's Widow in the evening.  On
the day, we totaled 85 species, and were able to locate nearly all of our
targeted "southern specialties".  Highlights included:

Northern Bobwhite - At least 3 in a pasture viewed from Cole Road.  For more
details and a map, see: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14380809

Chuck-will's Widow - 3 calling from the cedar barrens near the Nature
Conservancy's Eulett Center.  There is a small pulloff in front of the
center's gate from which these birds could be heard.  See

4 Vireo species (White-eyed, Yellow-throated, Red-eyed, and Blue-headed).

15 Warbler species, including Cerulean and Kentucky at nearly every stop at
Shawnee, Worm-eating and Blue-winged Warblers off forest road 14, and
Chestnut-sided in the burn/clearcut area off forest road 2.  Yellow-breasted
Chats and Prairie Warbler were also heard or seen at nearly every stop
throughout the day.  See
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14377255 and

Blue Grosbeak (Male and female) seen just down the road from the Eulett
Center, on Copas Road.  See

Overall, it was a great trip to this very underbirded area of the state!

Good Birding,
Alex Champagne