OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:51:53 -0400
We visited "The Conneaut Sandspit" area today, Monday, from 1:20PM to 4:20PM. The intermittent rain showers and seventy-five degree temperature made for a pleasant visit. Of the twenty-six species seen or viewed from the sandspit, a Laughing Gull and a White-rumped Sandpiper were the best highlights. The Laughing Gull, assumed and appearing to be the same one present the last few weeks, was resting on a floating log in the Conneaut Harbor. The White-rumped Sandpiper (photographed), was with a Semipalmated Sandpiper in a pool on the sandspit. The only other shorebirds were Semipalmated Plover, Spotted Sandpiper, and Killdeer. 15 Bald Eagles, two adults and thirteen juveniles, graced the breakwalls. A kettle of 40+ Turkey Vultures created darkness overhead. Some of the other birds of interest were 5 Caspian Terns, 50+ Bank Swallows, 15+ Purple Martins, and 30+ Bonaparte's Gulls. Our only unpleasantry, was a couple in a light blue Toyota, (OHIO#FBQ9129), arriving with their German Shepard type dog. Out he comes, her yelling at it, go chase the birds, and he did. In the next half hour at the sandspit, they and their trusty pet, made sure they flushed everything closeby, making a full lap of the shoreline. One of the rules on the way in reads: PETS MUST BE ON LEASH ~ $500 FINE. The Conneaut Port Authority is missing a goldmine of revenue.

Bob And Denise Lane / Mahoning County