OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:56:11 -0400
Thanks for the report.  I would love it if people frequenting Huffman
Prairie keep an eye peeled for immature  Boblinks to get an idea if
their nest attempt succeeded or not.

The male RN Pheasant has been seen for the last few months, I suspect he
is a survivor of the release and hunts from the other side of the fence
(its the base mini 'shooting preserve'.  We need to get him a mate, he's
so alone.    He's the most technicolor pheasant I've ever seen.

Mary, Fairborn

P.S.  Looked for the Horned Grebe at Huffman Metropark pond with no
luck.  Lots of human activity, very nice evening.

------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 14:15:58 -0400
From: Kevin Myers <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Bobolinks & Dickcissels
at Huffman Prairie Mary's following post prompted me to mention that I
did see Bobolinks and Dickcissels at Huffman Prairie on Wright-Patterson
Air Force Base (near Fairborn in Greene County and Dayton in Montgomery
County). This was last Saturday, June 1st. A few Bobolinks were in the
large central portion of the prairie, towards the southwestern end. I
never saw more than two or three at a time. There was a handful of
Dickcissels, many of them singing from the tops of small tree and shrubs
at the eastern end of the prairie near the shed. In the area that Mary
mentioned on the northern side of the prairie, there was a lot of
activity of more common species such as Common Yellowthroat, Orchard
Oriole, and Indigo Bunting. A pleasant surprise was a Ringed-Necked
Pheasant scurrying across the road and disappearing into the grass. Kevin