OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:35:31 -0400
I visited multiple sites between these two parks this morning, hitting Stage's Pond, Mackey Ford, Rickenbacker Airport, Walnut Woods, and Bareis Preserve.  The cloudy weather seemed to keep birds active longer, so I had many singing birds even at the later stops.  Unfortunately, the warmer weather seems to have boosted tick activity, and I was picking them off all morning.  At Bareis Preserve, which is mostly old field, I was covered in them when I came out, picking off 34 over the next hour.  Bird highlights included:

Hooded Mergansers - several juveniles were playing around at Stage's Pond
Green Heron - 1 was at the marginal canal on the East side of Rickenbacker, a place they have nested before
Red-headed Woodpecker - 1 was in the riparian strip along Walnut Creek at Bareis Preserve, an unusual place for them
Willow Flycatchers - old field habitats at Stage'sPond, Walnut Woods, and Bareis Preserve held 4-5 apiece.
White-eyed Vireo - 2 were in the overgrown fields at Walnut Woods
PRAIRIE WARBLER - the singing bird is still in the overgrown field at Bareis, but no sign of a partner.
Kentucky Warbler - 1 was singing in the woods along the Moraine Trail at Stage's Pond
Yellow-br.Chat - good day: Stage's Pond had 3, Rickenbacker 1, and Walnut Woods 2, all singing.
Rose-br.Grosbeak - good day, with 2 singing at Stage's Pond, 1 at MackeyFord, 1 at Walnut Woods, and 2 at Bareis Preserve
Blue Grosbeak - a pair were around the entrance to Bareis Preserve
Orchard Oriole - only 1, a first-year male at Walnut Woods