OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:43:34 -0700
    Some
days are just made to put a smile on one’s face. Today was one of them. I
attributed my marvelous morning as a celebration of life in general and as it
is the 50th anniversary of my graduation from high school back in
Connecticut. Can it really be that long ago? I guess I am getting long in the
tooth. What was planned to be a morning of fixing a nest box and monitoring a
section of my nest box trail turned into a cornucopias of birds.
began at Old Sunbury Road where the nest box in need of help is located. Shaune
Skinner and I had spotted the nest box from the boat the last time we were out
monitoring the nearby islands. The top had come loose and the nest box was
looking like the leaning tower of Pisa, slumped forward as if ready to dive
into Hoover Reservoir. I waded out to the nest box and realized that there was
more than met the eye. There was a Prothonotary Warbler nesting in the box. The
female was actively incubating her clutch of eggs. This meant I was in for more
than a quick hammer and nail repair. I used a piece of cloth as a
muffler-silencer and very slowly nailed the top of the nest box to the dead
tree. I then made a very quick check at the occupants while praying I hadn’t
done any harm. She was still on the nest but I think I got a nasty look from
her. How do you explain to a bird that without the repair she and her clutch
would be in the reservoir if a strong wind arose? As I returned to my car I
spotted a hen turkey with her 9 poults. They are now about the size of a
Bobwhite.
    I then
went on to Area N which was my main agenda for the day. The plan was to wear
high boots and monitor the back area which includes the section where the Ohio
Young Birders Club earned many points with me as we installed almost 50 nest
boxes to replace those lost because of the June 29, 2012 storm. All the trees
and nest boxes at Area N along the old roadbed were lost in the storm and these
are their replacements. Kids, the Prothonotary Warblers love your nest boxes.
13 of the new boxes have nesting Prothonotary Warblers. I found a total of 24
males in the area between Big Walnut Creek and the confluence with Little
Walnut Creek and Hoover Reservoir.
    The
area is partially underwater and elsewhere very mucky. Walking was a chore as I
build up muck on my boots with every step. Did I care? No! I was too busy be
amazed at the activity. I found only the second active Ruby-throated
Hummingbird nest I have ever personally located. The other was also in Area N a
few years back. Like the first, this nest was on a Sycamore tree branch over
water. Then I added the fourth Red-headed Woodpecker nest at Area N. That makes
13 known Red-headed Woodpecker nests in the Hoover Nature Preserve this year.
Along Big Walnut Creek I found 4 Northern Parula and 3 Yellow-throated Warblers,
all near Sycamore trees. A few other nice discoveries include a Belted
Kingfisher nest tunnel (saw adult emerge) and a Pileated Woodpecker nest cavity
(again, saw adult at site) and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers fledglings chasing the
adults to beg for food. I had many other nice sightings at Area N (see list
that follows) and I think the area calling it “the nursery” would be accurate.
No human interference and the wildlife acting as it should.
Charlie
Bombaci
Hoover
Nature Preserve