OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:09:50 -0400
Hi,

I've been seeing an interesting myiarchus flycatcher around my yard the
past few days.  It appears smaller and less yellow than Great Crested and
appears to have a whitish throat.  It also behaves differently coming low
in the trees.  I'm no expert on this genus but I managed to get some
pictures today and studying them my fears are being realized.  Possible
Ash-throated Flycatcher.

There are 2 pictures in my flicker feed: here is a link to one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/haans42/9118567325/

The genus myiarchus is notoriously difficult and I would like to hear from
experts who  have more than occasional birding trip experience with these
species.  I'm not going to defend Ash-throated beyond what I've said above
and will not get my nose bent either way. This bird is what it is, and
getting it right is what is important.

If it does turn out to be Ash-throated birders will be welcome once I
explain the situation to the neighbors and police.  There will be very
tight rules on where people can and cannot go, but I think I'm getting way
ahead of myself.

Haans
Kirtland