OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2013 00:33:09 -0400
Looking at the entire series of photos of this bird, this is a Great Crested Flycatcher. The head/face/throat is appropriately gray and the yellow underparts are extensive, leading up to the upper breast. Ash-throated Flycatcher is a very pale bird - with underparts exceedingly paler then this individual, and pale yellow far more restricted to the lower belly and under tail coverts, as well as a far paler breast, throat and face. Great Cresteds are typically mid-story to canopy foragers but will work lower, secondary growth as well.

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, OH
www.jenbrumfield.com