OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

From:
maryann sedivy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
maryann sedivy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2013 01:38:41 +0000
There is a Dark-eyed Junco nesting in a hanging basket on my front porch.  I think we were equally startled when I watered the flowers the other day.
This is interesting.  It seems in the past few years that more Juncos are year round residents. It used to be that they could be found in cool woodland ravines in our area; places like Stebbins Gulch in Lake County or the West Woods in Geauga County.  Yet I've noticed them for about the past 5  years or more year round on my property--which isn't entirely typical habitat for a junco-although there are woods nearby. This year is the first time to have the actual nest right at my door!  A friend told my that her neighbor also has Juncos nesting in a flower basket on the porch.
What's going on with the Juncos?  Anybody else have them nesting?

Mary Ann Sedivy
Newbury
Geauga County