OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2013 03:15:23 -0400
Checked areas along the Scioto and Olentangy Rivers near downtown Columbus for migrants and residents. I stopped at Haul Road, Scioto Audubon, King Ave, Waterman Farm, and the OSU wetlands.  Water is very high, and the only appreciable shorebird habitat was the muddy fringe on the Olentangy above the old King Ave dam site, but it held only a few Kildeer.  I did have the first hints of landbird migrants, with lots of gnatcatchers, and few swallows and orioles (which have left their riverside territories here).  Notables included:

Wood Ducks - eclipse birds at many locations, especially at the ponds of the OSU wetlands (which are quite high)
cormorants - a flock of 8 had gathered above the Greenlawn dam
Great Egret - 1 was in the bay at Scioto Audubon, but high water may being forcing them elsewhere
Ospreys - the nest at Scioto Audubon appears to have 1 large bird near fledging.  An adult was patrolling for fish at Haul Rd; there's a nest down in the active quarries south of here.

Flycatchers - Great Crested were at several spots along the river, while 2 Willows were in the phragmites marsh at Haul Rd
E.Kingbirds - pairs were at both Scioto Audubon & Haul Rd, and another was at Waterman Farms
Swallows - still a few Cliffs around the I-70 colony, but Trees were mostly AWOL from the area (where many pairs nested earlier this summer).  Rough-winged families were at the OSU wetlands, and 2 Banks at Haul Rd were noteworthy.

Vireos - Warblings were common at Scioto Audubon & OSU wetlands.  A singing Red-eyed at Scioto Audubon was unusual there.
Gnatcatchers - 6-8 at Scioto Audubon and 1-2 at every other stop may signal the start of migration for these mites
Mimids - lots of Catbirds at all sites.  Mockingbirds were still singing around Scioto Audubon
Warblers - slim pickings, with a Yellow feeding a fledgling at Scioto Audubon and another calling at OSU wetlands.  A Yellow-throated was singing at the latter sites, and 2 Com.Yellowthroates were in the phragmites marsh at Haul Rd

Sparrows - lots of defensive Song Sparrows at every stop.  Chipping fledglings were at Haul Rd, Scioto, & OSU wetlands
Orioles - only had 1 juvenile Baltimore along the river at Scioto Audubon, while an adult male Orchard was at Haul Rd