OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
"D'Amico, Dominic" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D'Amico, Dominic
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 15:03:01 -0400
Hey everyone!

My name is Dominic D'Amico and I'm a recent graduate of Miami University in
Oxford, Ohio. I've been working with Dr. Annie-Laurie Blair and the Fernald
Community Alliance since the winter to help plan out the construction of a
public bird blind at Fernald Preserve outside of Ross, Ohio.

For those of you that have never heard of the story of Fernald, it's quite
fascinating. In short, the site was once a uranium processing plant for US
nuclear arms during the Cold War, and as a result, the land was once
extremely polluted, but cleanup efforts in the past few decades have turned
the land into a sprawling nature preserve. It's a story of environmental
triumph that hold extreme importance where issues of conservation often
seem quite bleak.

Fernald, as I'm sure many of you know, is an excellent place to go birding
and a public bird blind could only help enhance that reputation even more.
It would be an excellent opportunity for school groups to learn about the
myriad of interesting species and get a chance to see some they perhaps
hadn't before.

Rather than go through the process of grant proposals, we've decided to use
a more modern technique in the form of www.kickstarter.com, a website that
hosts projects that anyone and everyone could donate to. For those of you
weary about the legitimacy of the site, have no fear: kickstarter is a
reputable and secure site lauded by major institutions such as Time
Magazine and the New York Times. For more details on how the site works,
visit: http://www.kickstarter.com/hello?ref=nav

I won't bog you all down with any more details for now as our project page
is still being put together, but I'm just giving you guys a heads up for
anyone interested!

For any questions or feedback, my contact info is listed below, as well as
Fernald's facebook page - we could use some more likes!

Thanks!
Dominic D'Amico
B.A. in Zoology/Environmental Science - Miami University
Cleveland, OH
 https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fernald-Community-Alliance/206721086011954