OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 19:13:22 -0700
For the last two days my birding has had to be
incidental. I have been assisting Naturalist Jill Snyder with preschooler
programs at Highbanks Metro Park. This month the program was “creeking” and we
explored the creeks for crayfish, salamanders and other creatures. Both the
preschoolers and we “big kids” had a good time. The bonus feature was the birds
around the program’s area. Soaring above us were one of the resident Bald Eagles
and Red-tailed Hawks. Over and in the fields of the Big Meadows area there were
Tree and Barn Swallows, Eastern Meadowlarks, Eastern Bluebirds, Orchard
Orioles, Common Yellowthroats, Yellow Warblers and Field Sparrows. In the
forested area along the stream were Northern Parula, Yellow-throated Warbler,
Indigo Bunting, Scarlet Tanager, Pileated Woodpecker, Acadian Flycatchers,
Baltimore Oriole and Yellow-billed Cuckoo.
Then tonight after dinner Linda accompanied me while I
did a check of my nest boxes at Wiese Road in Galena. Several Prothonotary Warblers
were active and the pair in a nest box close to the trail were coming and going
from their nest. The hatchlings should fledge in the next day or two. Maybe
July 4th will be their Independence Day. Also observed at Wiese Road
were lots of Gray Catbirds, Indigo Buntings, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Scarlet
Tanagers and a Wood Duck hen with her ducklings in tow.
To my fellow veterans and everyone else, have a wonderful
and safe July 4th.
 Charlie
Bombaci
Hoover