OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:51:20 -0700
Ryan Golterman and I attempted to find shorebirds today in Lorain, Erie, and Sandusky Counties.  We checked 7  sites and all of them had high water levels except one impoundment at Willow Creek WA.  Started at Lorain, birds included pied-billed grebe, Am. coots w/young, spotted sandpiper, lesser yellowlegs, and 5 yellow warblers.  Next stop was at Willow Point WA; one cell had some shorebirds.  Highlights there were great egrets, bald eagles, sora, spotted sandpiper, lesser yellowlegs, semipalmated sandpiper, least sandpipers, STILT SANDPIPER, 8 short-billed dowitchers, e. kingbird, willow flycatcher, purple martins, tree swallows, bank swallows, marsh wren, c. yellowthroat, and indigo bunting.  Next we went to Pickerel Creek WA which had 4 hooded mergansers, great egrets, black-crowned night-heron, bald eagles, a flock of 12 lesser yellowlegs (looked for a place to land then headed east), willow flycatcher, tree swallows, barn swallows, marsh
 wren, c. yellowthroats, indigo bunting, and swamp sparrow.  Then we checked Medusa Marsh and the old Cedar Point Chaussee, we were skunked there.  On to Pipe Creek WA.  Again we saw no shorebird habitat, but did see Caspian tern, e. kingbirds, and purple martins.  Craig Holt, Lowellville