OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:01:34 -0400
Sunday, June 30 I went to Clear Creek Metro Park south of Lancaster off of
SR33.   I sought Blue-headed Vireo and Veery.  I found one Blue-headed
Vireo at the beginning of Hemlock Trail and another on Fern Trail.  Also
had about six Hooded Warblers, two Worm-eating Warblers, four Black
throated Green Warblers, two Black and White Warblers, at least two
Yellow-throated Warblers and several American Redstarts and about six
Hermit Thrushes singing.  The Veery was singing by the Fern Picnic Area
near the picnic tables across the road from the Fern Trail trailhead.  Then
I stopped at Bolton Field near Columbus, arriving at about 1:30 pm and
found one Upland Sandpiper along the runway on the parking lot side east of
the corner of the fence with vertical openings and the steel mesh fence
along the east or south side at the parking lot.  The Upland Sandpiper was
walking through the relatively shorter grass picking and snagging insects.
Near the location of the Upland Sandpiper is a sign with A4 in yellow
letters surrounded by black and also withheld A-22- in white on a red
background.  I did not try to read the last number or letter after the last
"-" on the red and white sign.  The Upland Sandpiper called once from the
ground giving the whirring rising and falling whistle.  I observed it
standing upright on the ground while calling.  Three new birds for the year
yields 525.  Heading north.
Jay G Lehman, Cincinnati, OH
Sent from Droid Razr