OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
Justin Bosler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Bosler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 01:29:34 -0400
Hello all,

Perhaps coming in second to the drying flooded agricultural fields south of
SR 2 in Ottawa County (and specifically, the hot spot mentioned by Kenn) is
the Middle Harbor impoundment at East Harbor State Park. The water level of
the impoundment has been drawn down to promote the growth of cultivated
Japanese millet at the north end, a Ducks Unlimited project.

For the best shorebirding, you'll want to go to the dead end of SR 269 (it
turns into TR 139 at the bend), a good mile or so past the entrance to East
Harbor SP. Park in the gravel parking lot adjacent to the West Harbor
Trail. From here, you'll hike down the peninsula a short distance to the
impoundment. I would recommend boots, or any shoes you don't mind getting
muddy.

Among a good number of Short-billed Dowitchers and Lesser Yellowlegs today
were 7 breeding adult Stilt Sandpipers and a Wilson's Snipe. The few peeps
that use this site are often concealed by Am. lotus and other vegetation.

It's also worthwhile keeping an eye on the loafing gulls and terns, too.
This morning I tallied about 105 Bonaparte's Gulls and no fewer than 125
Caspian Terns.

Good birding,
Justin

--