OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
"Weidner, Aimee" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Weidner, Aimee
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 16:10:58 +0000
The Bird Count for June was conducted this morning, July 17, 2013.    Counters included Mary Warren, Chris Knoll, Shane Roberts, Adam Marks, and Rob Harder.

The following were seen or heard:

Double-crested cormorant- 252
great blue heron-9
green heron-7
great egret-9
black-crowned night-heron-3
trumpeter swan-2
Canada goose-7
Mallard-16
wood duck14
red-tailed hawk-1
bald eagle-2 (3 year bird that seemingly has made the beach home),
killdeer-22
spotted sandpiper-6
herring gull-120
Bonaparte's gull-5
Forster's tern-2
common tern-8
Caspian tern-4
mourning dove-22
yellow-billed cuckoo-1
ruby-throated hummingbird-1
northern flicker-4
red-bellied woodpecker-2
downy woodpecker-6
eastern kingbird-11
eastern phoebe-4
willow flycatcher-2
eastern wood-peewee-5
tree swallow-199
bank swallow-1
barn swallow-24
purple martin-16
house wren-7
Carolina wren-2
marsh wren-2
gray catbird26
American robin-39
eastern bluebird-1
cedar waxwing-15
European starling- 63
warbling vireo-16
prothonotary warbler-3 (one juvenile off of the boardwalk)
yellow warbler-19
common yellowthroat-18
red-winged blackbird-43
orchard oriole-1
Baltimore oriole-7
common grackle-17
brown-headed cowbird-1
northern cardinal-12
indigo bunting-2
chipping sparrow-1
swamp sparrow-9
song sparrow-36
house finch-1
American goldfinch-12
house sparrow-4

And the oddity of the week is a peahen who was first spotted Saturday and was near the boardwalk during our count.  If we could include her, we would have reached 60 species...

The next Bird Count will be August 13 beginning at 8 am from the Bird Center.    Join us if you can!

Aimee Weidner
Seasonal Naturalist
Magee Marsh Wildlife Area
13229 W. State Rt. 2