OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
James Clapp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Clapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:59:21 -0800
Sent from my iPad. In Gene Stratton-Porter's books about the Limberlost Swamp of the early 1900s (I.e. 190?s) she writes often of the shikepokes.  It is obvious from her descriptions that they are Great Blue Herons.  That spelling can be found in online dictionaries and that definition.  Her most famous book about the Limberlost-now called The Great Black Swamp-was "A Girl of the Limberlost".  She(Gene) and her books, especially "A Girl...., were my mother's favorite.   She and her husband lived in NE Indiana where she wrote many novels-mostly with natural history themes-as well as books of poetry and books on natural history-especially birds.  Her home is a historic site and bird sanctuary in memory of her contributions.  If you really want to know what The Great Black Swamp was like to live with, travel through and feels like, this is the place to go. Jim Clapp, Hebron, KY ( greater Cincinnati)