OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 21:58:24 -0400
Hi all,

Thanks Haans for expanding this friendly exchange to names that are just
interesting or unusual, rather than weird. Here are a few that I like:

In Venezuela, Chestnut-collared Sparrow is called "corre por suelo," which
means "ground-runnner," or "runs on the ground."

In the area of the Colombian Pacific that I've been visiting, House Wrens
are ubiquitous and they are called "cucarachero," which in context means
"cockroach eater" (the same name is used in Ecuador).

In the Colombian Pacific, Yellow-rumped Cacique is called "mochilero," or
"knapsack maker," because of their oropendula-like nests.

In the same area, Neo-tropical Cormorant is called "pato de agua," or "water
duck."

One of my favorites: in Nicaragua, Turquoise-browed Motmot (the national
bird) is called "guardabarranco"--Guard or guardian of gulches or ravines. A
onderful brother-sister singing/songwriting duo took the name...

Finally, back to the weird, this time for official common names. A
Venezuelan ornithologist once suggested to us the possibility that some
common names are the results of practical jokes that locals were playing on
visiting ornithologists. The great example is the group of birds called
"tapaculos." Although some people say that the name comes from an
onomatopoeic version of the song of one species, it's unavoidable that what
the word "tapaculo" means is "asshole coverer" or "it covers its asshole."
Hmm..

Best wishes,

Steve

Steve Cagan, photographer