OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:01:58 -0400
Stopped at several areas around the northern part of this Delaware County reservoir yesterday, looking for late-breeding residents, post-breeding strays, and early migrants.  I stopped at access areas at St. Rte 36, Howard Road, and Hogback Road.  Water level is still quite high here, so the mudflats along Hogback Road are still weeks away.  Singing levels are, not surprisingly, way down, but I was still able to find many different residents.  Notables included

Ospreys - 2 active platform-nests along Hogback held 2 juveniles apiece, so there are lots of Osprey in Hogback basin.

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - at least one was calling along Howard Rd riparian area

Flycatchers - Pewees #s have dipped, but Acadians are still strong, with highs of 16 along Maple Glen Trail and 10 along N.Hogback Rd. Great Cresteds were only along N.Hogback Rd

Swallows - none feeding in Hogback basin, but most were sitting on nearby wires, including 20 Barn, 6 Tree, 6 Rough-winged, and 2 Bank

Vireos - Red-eyeds still common at many locations.  Had 2 Yellow-throated singins along both the Maple Glen Trail and N.Hogback Rd.  Warbling & White-eyed were also calling along N.Hogback Rd.

Thrushes - Wood Thrushes very quiet, with only 1 along Maple Glen Trail and along N.Hogback Rd.

Warblers - hardly any singing, other than a Yellow at Howard Rd bridge, and a Prothonotary at Hogback Rd