OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
Justin Bosler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Bosler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:48:59 -0400
Hello all,

Tom Bartlett, Keith Norris, and I were out today scouting for shorebird
habitat and shorebird concentrations in Ottawa County.  Needless to say,
all traditional sites have high water and/or tall, extensive vegetation.
Each week presents new challenges for our research with the continued wet
weather. The inability, or lack of funds, to actively pump water off of
public and private marshes/ impoundments has been equally frustrating.  So,
we're left relying on far less than ideal and quite ephemeral shorebird
habitat: flooded ag. fields.

One particular site appeared to have been holding water for quite some time
now and likely grew in size with Saturday's rain. It's just east of Rocky
Ridge on the north side of W Schiller Rd. (a.k.a Salem-Carroll Rd.), just
west of its intersection with Benton-Carroll Rd. Here's a link to our eBird
checklist from a brief stop there early this afternoon. We tallied over 250
shorebirds of 9, and possibly 10 species (Tom may have had a Wilson's
Snipe).

Good birding,
Justin

--