OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:27:33 -0400
I visited this forest corridor along the Scioto River this morning, and found it to be much the same as the other local riparian and reservoir areas - migrant swallows and kingbirds starting to appear, while other residents are still finishing nesting.  I also made a side trip to Liberty Township Woods and Deer Haven Preserve, but found nothing but residents there.  Notables included:

Cormorants - 8 were along the booms above O'Shaughenssy dam
Herons - nothing but Great Blues, but they were quite common along the corridor, especially below the dam
Gulls - small #s of Ring-bills were around the dam and the nearby Columbus Zoo, but there was nothing else
Pileated Woodpeckers - stray individuals were at Donegal Cliffs Park in the Gorge and at Liberty Township Woods
Flycatchers - still some calling Pewees and Acadians at many locations; Pewees were feeding juveniles at Kozcuiscko Park and Liberty Township Woods.  E.Kingbirds were at several spots at and above the dam.

Swallows - small flocks around the dam and up near Home Rd bridge, were a mix of Trees, barns, and Cliffs
Vireos - Red-eyed were still singing at many woods, while the only Warblings were along the Reservoir shore.
Warblers - singing Yellows were at several spots along the Reservoir shore, while a yellow-throated san at Dongela Cliffs in the Gorge.