OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:06:21 -0400
I biked around both 3-Creeks Park (Borrow Pit, Confluence & Hendron areas) and Walnut Woods (Buckeye & Tall Pines areas), enjoying the chilly temperatures and trying to find unusual residents and strays.  Water level in most of the ponds was  quite high, so I found few herons or shorebirds.  These areas included many successional fields, so my numbers of birds that favor those habitats were big.  Notables included:

Green Herons - singles were at all 3 areas in 3-Creeks.  The one at Turtle Pond at Confluence was easy to see.

Woodcock - flushed one out of a swampy edge in the Buckeye section of Walnut Woods.

Yellow-billed Cuckoos - heard them at 3 different locations (Confluence, Buckeye, and Tall Pines).  Had a few flybys at Walnut Woods that I couldn't place to species, since I didn't get a good look, and both are possible there.

ALDER FLYCATCHER - 1 was calling in the Hendron Area, and can be found behind the Living Skills Center (a school) off Bixby Rd. east of Hendron Rd.  Habitat looks ideal, and an Alder summered in a nearby field 6 years ago.

Flycatchers - Wood Pewees were abundant, with 3-4 at every locale, including several youngsters with their wheezy calls.  Acadians were still calling in the mature riparian forest at the Confluence area and the pines area of Tall Pines.  Willows were calling at the Borrow Pits, Hendron Area, Buckeye area, and in overgrown fields at Tall Pines.

E.Kingbirds - few at 3-Creeks, but 3-4 at each area of Walnut Woods

Swallows - no big flocks, but every species seen in small #s, including Banks and Purple Martins.

Vireos - Red-eyed abundant in larger woods.  The only Warbling were singing in the narrow riparian strip along Walnut Creek in the Buckeye area of Walnut Woods.  A Yellow-throated was still singing along the Confluence Trail.

Gnatcatchers - small groups of 2-4 at almost every area.  They may be starting their protracted migration.

Thrushes - Wood Thrushes was still singing at the Confluence area and in the sweetgum woods at Tall Pines

Mimids - Catbirds were abundant at all spots, while Brown Thrashers were at Confluence area and the meadows of Tall Pines

Warblers - Yellows were still singing at the Borrow Pits, the Hendron area, and the meadows of Tall Pines.  Singing Yellow-throateds were near the Borrow Pits and at the Confluence area.  Common Yellowthroats were very common, with 25+ scattered over all 4 areas.  A Yellow-br.Chat was calling around the parking area at Tall Pines.

Tanagers - only 1, a Scarlet, singing in the deep forest adjacent to the Borrow Pits

Sparrows - nothing unusual, but large #s of Chipping (especially around the Confluence area) and Fields (widespread just about everywhere else)

Orioles - only had a few female Orchards; 1 at the Buckeye area, the other at the meadows of Tall Pines