OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2013 20:45:38 -0400
The nonstop Saturday rain continued. At about 4PM, we found a Horned Grebe in perfect breeding plumage, frolicking in the waters off the west end of the public beach. Another great find, a bit farther west, offshore of the mussel shell beach by the short breakwall, we found a second Common Merganser family, mom and five, almost adult size big kids. Apparently, State Wild And Scenic Conneaut Creek, produced at least two family units of Common Mergansers this year. The Bald Eagle tally in the rain, shortly after 4:30PM, was 28. At about 5:30PM, our third Whimbrel of the day, came in for a short five minute visit, and then headed west along the Lake Erie shoreline. Today's Whimbrel sightings became species #285 for Ohio in 2013 for me. My wife Denise is at #284; unfortunately, she was a day late, for the May Piping Plover, at The Crane Creek Estuary.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County