OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2013 20:25:33 -0400
I spent this morning shuttling between these two birding areas north of Columbus looking for migrants.  The radar looked to show lots of overnight migrants, but the actual fallout was middling at these 2 areas.  Along the Dublin Gorge, I stopped at Kiwanis Park, Scioto Park, Koscuizscko Park, and O'Shaughnessy Dam.  At Highbanks, I hiked the Coyote Trail and the River Trail and also made a vain attempt to relocate the Lark Sparrow reported from Big Meadow.  Notables included:

Cormorants - 45+ were hanging around the O'Shaughnessy Dam
Osprey - 1 flew past the O'Shaughnessy Dam, headed south down the Scioto Gorge
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 adult bird was lurking around Kiwanis in the early morning
Great Horned Owl - an adult was hiding in the upland woods at Koz Park
Black-billed Cuckoo - 1 flew across the road into a tree near the head of the Coyote Trail in Highbanks
Ruby-thr.Hummers - good #s, with 2-3 at most stops
Wood Pewees - good numbers, with 9 along the Coyote Trail as the high
Acadian Flycatcher - 1 was still calling in Koz Park, where they nested earlier in the Summer
Swallows - hardly any, with only a few Barns along the Scioto Gorge
Vireos - 2 Warbling were at Kiwanis, while 2 Red-eyed were at Koz Park and 5 Red-eyed were along the Coyote Trail at Highbanks
Thrushes - nothing other than small flocks of Robins in many locations, as well as several E.Bluebird families at Highbanks
Mimids - Catbirds in many locations, but no large #s
Warblers - small #s, mostly at Kiwanis and Highbanks.  Kiwanis had Parula, Tennessee, Blackburnian, and Black&White, while Highbanks had 6 Tennessees, Magnolia, Blackpoll, 2 Black&White, & 2 Redstarts.  The Tennessees were all in one flock working over low flowers along the Coyote Trail, offering wonderful studies of adults & juvies
Tanagers - 1 Summer was along the Coyote Trail in Highbanks
Sparrows - lots of Fields at Highbanks, but no obvious migrant species at any spot
Orioles - single Baltimores were at Kiwanis, Scioto, & Highbanks, so they're still around in decent numbers.