OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
Justin Bosler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask] 3175 31 18_AlumCreekLake,8-099_rob [log in to unmask], 9 Aug 2013 23:34:43 -0400300_UTF-8 I did a quick visit to the southern end of Alum Creek Lake this morning, just before the weather turned nasty. I stopped at the beach & Visitor's Center and New Galena boat launch before the rain became a nuisance. Not much in the way of shorebird or landbird migrants. Notables included: [...]43_9Aug201323:34:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2013 21:59:04 -0400
Hello all,

The Middle Harbor mudflat at East Harbor SP is THE place for shorebirds in west coastal Ohio at the moment.  There is literally no other quality habitat to speak of -- it's just downright dismal for shorebird enthusiasts like myself.

The mudflat is at the north end of Middle Harbor and can be accessed from Buck Rd. With morning light, you'll want to hike out the wooded trail behind the Stop sign and follow the freshly bulldozed trail out to the break in the trees overlooking the flats.  In the afternoon/ evening you might do good from the West Harbor hiking trail, although the birds are at a greater distance.

This morning, Kate Zimmerman and I had good numbers of peeps and a fair diversity of birds overall.

Shorebirds:

Semipalmated Plover  30
Killdeer  25
Spotted Sandpiper  7