OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2013 21:49:09 -0400
Believe it was a juvenile Cooper's hawk. Although I am not much for id ing raptors. I saw him standing in a puddle. About 5' by 8'. Maybe 3 inches deep.  I thought it odd he was standing there, looked like standing on a stick. After several minutes he stepped off. Up popped a white pigeon. A wing went up and it kicked itself in a circle but after a couple minutes it quit moving. The hawk waited for it to drift to the side. It then again held it under for  a few seconds then managed, barely, to fly clear of the water and started eating. It was a pretty white pigeon. Thought I would share this and ask if that is normal raptor behavior. Was hard to watch something get drowned. Also, seems to have been a Cooper's hawk. Although, similar in color but half the size of the one who stalks my feeders.

Sent from my iPhone