OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2013 23:31:12 -0400
Rick Asamoto and I were searching for shorebirds between Dayton and Grand
Lake St Mary today finding 9 species.

The Great Miami River had limited habitat between Carillon Park and the
Washington St bridge due to recent rains raising the water level.

The Great Miami Mitigation Bank pond water was too deep and offered
Mallards and Wood Ducks.

Wood Road in Darke County could use a little rain as it had limited habitat
holding about 75 Killdeer, 1 Semi-palmated Plover, 1 Pectoral, 1 Stilt, 1
Spotted, 2 Least and 2 Lesser Yellowlegs. The left most pond held water too
deep for most shorebirds but will get better if it does not rain. The
middle pond where most of the shorebirds were found has a small shallow
pool and could use some rain. The right pond was completely dry and held a
few Killdeer and a Spotted. Goldilocks Syndrome?
Mercer County WA had "marginal" habitat about two feet wide around the pond
and held Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary, Semi-palmated and Least
Sandpipers.

The St Mary Fish Hatchery ponds were all full to the brim except for two
ponds at the back of the archery area that were completely dry. These two
ponds would be very good with some rain.

If you are looking for shorebirds the best areas may be along western Lake
Erie in the north, Lorain Impoundment?, Franklin County or western Hamilton
County in the south. I base this on our observations to

--
John Habig
Carlisle, Ohio