OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:05:50 -0400
While waiting for the weather to warm for a butterfly transect, I hit this MetroPark in Dublin, as well as the nearby Trabue Nature Preserve.  Not much in the way of migrants or strays.  I could not relocate the Blue Grosbeak at the GR-Honda wetland.  The water level there was OK, but the cattails have grown so thickly that there are no open areas for shorebirds or other waders.  The most interesting birds included:

E.Wood Pewees - one of the most common birds of the morning, with 2-3 at nearly every woodlot.
Willow Flycatchers - birds at both the Honda wetlands and the north fields of Glacier Ridge
Acadian Flycatchers - 2 were still calling in the pocket woodlot west of the main north parking area at Glacier Ridge
Swallows - some Barns at every stop, but nothing else other than a lone flyby Purple Martin near the windmill
Black&White Warbler - a female was at Trabue
Common Yellowthroats =- several were still singing at both the Honda wetlands and the windmill fields
E,Meadowlarks - 6+ were calling around the entrance fields to the north part of Glacier Ridge

Almost as interesting were the birds that were not seen: no E.Kingbirds, no Yellow Warblers, no Grasshopper sparrows, no Savannah Sparrows, no orioles.