OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2013 13:21:38 -0700
Middle Harbor of East Harbor State Park & Riddle Rd of Bellevue skyponds area continue to host many shorebirds with numerous Phalaropes today.
At the previously mentioned area at the end of Buck Rd, Middle Harbor this morning hosted 1 Wilson's Phalarope along with 2 Black-bellied Plover, 1 Stilt Sandpiper, & 1 White-rumped Sandpiper. We found a second area that hosted 1 Wilson's Phalarope and 1 Red-necked Phalarope in Middle Harbor. This would be in the far SW corner of Middle Harbor. We accessed this spot by the main entrance to the state park. We followed the road to the beach and then it circles back one way to the exit. On the right side of the exit road is a sign that says "Stop & Look. Explore the Outdoors". There is a mowed picnic area on both sides of the road here. There were a couple cars parked in these picnic areas on the grass so it seems as if parking is allowed in these grassy picnic areas. Straight behind the picnic area on the right (north), a short walk leads to a good spot to view this second area of mudflats that hosted both species of phalarope.
At Bellevue, the Riddle Road area in the NW corner by the railroad tracks, large numbers of yellowlegs, along with several Stilt Sandpipers and several other species continue to feed in the back edges of the corn as the water remains high. A Peregrine Falcon & Cooper's Hawk were harassing the shorebirds and keeping them even farther back into the corn but we were still able to pick out 6 Wilson's Phalarope and 2 Red-necked Phalarope. There could easily be more in there. We checked all the other spots listed in the Ohio ebird hotspots description of the area but they were all still a bit too high of water to host many shorebirds just yet.
Kent Miller