OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:22:50 -0700
I was hesitant to post this as my shorebird ID skills are not so good.  I went to the new location that Kent Miller had posted bird sightings yesterday for Middle Harbor.  I didn't realize that you could see mudflats from his location.  I actually parked in the last parking lot as you exit the park before you get to 269.  I walked in to the Middle Harbor path, turned right and walked east a bit to a grassy opening to view the mudflats.  I had seen one Red-necked Phalarope in the morning.  Not sure if the Wilsons Phalarope was there. But around 4pm I went back but this time I walked a little further east and there was an observation deck with a much better view so the grass didn't obstruct your views or pictures.  After about 20 mins I realized there were two Red-necked Phalaropes.  I did not see two in the AM.  They had the smudgy black spots behind the eye, black down head and back and when they both flew they had the large white
 stripes in their wings.  There are multiple Middle Harbor paths that all seem to connect.  I won't try to ID the other shorebirds.

Saw one Osprey from the other location at the end of Buck Rd (269) in the AM.  There is a grassy path with a chain blocking the path and a red stop sign on it for the other location.  You walk straight back (east) and take the hard packed muddy path with large ruts with puddles from construction equipment to the mudflats. Need boots.

This morning just west of the swimming beach in Port Clinton (Port Clinton Lakefront Preserve) before you get to the marshy area there was one Black-bellied Plover on the beach.

Nancy Anderson
Cleveland
(currently in Lakeside)