OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 21:45:43 -0400
I ran a quick check for a few hours this morning up to the northern reaches of Hoover Reservoir (NE of COlumbus), looking for early landbird migrants and shoreline of any extent.  Unfortunately, water levels are still abysmally high, so nix on the shorebirds, but did find some herons.  I stopped at Oxbow Island, Wiese Rd., and the Galena Boardwalk.  Notables included:

Cormorants - #s growing, with small flocks at every stop, topped by 35 off the Boardwalk
Great Egrets - singles at Oxbow Island and off the Boardwalk
Green Herons - 2 at Oxbow and Wiese, 3 off the Boardwalk
Raptors - no Ospreys or Bald Eagles, but did have Red-tails at several locations
Shorebirds - no mudflats, no shorebirds
Gulls- a mixed flock of 40 Ring-bills and 7 Herring were roosting on the Boardwalk
Red-headed Woodpeckers - still noticeable around Galena, with 1 at Wiese and 2 off the Boardwalk
Flycatchers - E.Wood Pewee, Acadian, Great Crested, and E.Phoebe all on Oxbow Island....and none nested there
E.Kingbirds - 2 were on Oxbow Island, and another 1 was off the Boardwalk
Swallows - Barns in many places, with the biggest flock of 40 on Oxbow Rd.  Banks and Trees were at all spots as well, but in much lower #s (1-4)

Vireos - Red-eyed Vireos at all 3 stops, singing Warblings at Oxbow and off the Boardwalk (2).
Thrushes - nothing but Robins, and no large numbers of them
Mimids - Catbirds common at all 3 stops
Waxwings - small flocks of 6-8 birds at both Oxbow Island and off the Boardwalk
Warblers - Prothonotaries & Yellows still at Oxbow and off the Boardwalk.  A Redstart was also on Oxbow Island.
Orioles - widespread Baltimores, with 3 at Oxbow and 2 at the other spots.