OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 06:39:45 -0700
Ryan Golterman and I got some birding in yesterday 8/17.  We started at the Middle Harbor at East Harbor SP.  Birds there included: blue-winged teal, osprey, semipalmated plovers, spotted sandpiper, lesser yellowlegs, red knot, 90 semipalmated sandpipers, least sandpipers, pectoral sandpiper, stilt sandpipers, short-billed dowitchers, Wilson's phalarope, red-necked phalarope, Bonaparte's gulls, 50 Caspian terns, and common terns.  We were both very impressed with East Harbor SP, a new birding site for us.  Next we visited the Bellevue area.  At the Riddle Rd. spot in Sandusky Co. were: Cooper's hawk, peregrine falcon, 200+ lesser yellowlegs, semipalmated sandpipers, least sandpipers, pectoral sandpipers, stilt sandpiper, 2+ Wilson's phalaropes, red-necked phalarope, and numerous bank swallows.  We also checked the Fireside spot in Seneca Co.  It held some common shorebirds, and we added solitary sandpiper to the day's shorebird list there.  We
 headed home then, and decided to have a look at the Lorain impoundment on the way.  The water remains too high there for shorebirds, although we did find a greater yellowlegs to bring the day's shorebird total to 14 species.  There were about a dozen Am. coots including some juveniles there.  At that point, we called it a day.  Craig Holt, Lowellville