OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2013 09:58:57 -0400
Since an American avocet had been reported at Funk Bottoms on Wilderness
Road yesterday evening at 7:30 pm, my wife and I drove from Wooster to
check it out. We arrived by 8am and searched the entire pond area,
including walking way out to the north end. However, no avocet was found.
If it was still there, it was hiding pretty well. I suspect it went on its
way already.

However, since I was there a week ago, they have been pumping a lot of
water out of the ponds and have brought them down quite a bit. Shorebird
habitat right now is excellent! There were lots of shorebirds there
including: killdeer and semipalmated plover, lesser yellowlegs, solitary,
spotted, least, and pectoral sandpipers. All these were there in good
numbers.

In addition, a week ago I reported a white swallow perched on a wire with a
large number of bank swallows. Today, the white swallow was flying over the
main pond at the far north end of the mud road, along with other swallows.
Bank swallows are still present, but the numbers are down quite a bit from
last week. Randy Rowe, Wooster