OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:39:20 -0400
Yesterday, Sunday, my wife Denise, Jeff Harvey, and I, went on an all day birding adventure in basically Sandusky and Ottawa Counties. We arrived at the previously described shorebird mudflats location at East Harbor State Park, at about 7:30AM. We had the place to ourselves. Birds of interest immediately found, were 2 Red-necked Phalaropes, 1 Wilson's Phalarope, 6 Stilt Sandpipers, and 5 Black-bellied Plovers, just to name a few. There was also numerous terns and a nice variety of other shorebird species. On the east side of Middle Harbor, we found a vocal and visible Sedge Wren, along the boardwalk like foot bridge, north of the viewing platform. If looking for the Sedge Wren, be aware that there are also House Wrens nearby. At 11AM, a quick stop at Camp Perry Beach, rewarded us with 2 Ruddy Turnstones. The highlight of the day came about 2PM, while heading south on Riddle Road at the Bellevue Sky Ponds. As we approached the the pond on the northwest corner of the railroad tracks, we all three went bonkers, initially believing we were looking at hundreds of phalaropes. Reality finally set in, the large looking imposters were actually Lesser Yellowlegs swimming around in one huge mass of birds. We estimated that there were at least 400+, all Lesser Yellowlegs, either in the water, or roosting in the corn shocks on the back of the pool. What an unbelievable sight! In all my years of birding, I have never seen yellowlegs swimming or roosting, giving this type of memorable show! The only Baird's Sandpipers of the day, (3), were seen nearby. At about 4PM, we returned to the observation platform at Middle Harbor, finally finding the reported Red Knot. Another interesting sighting today was seeing numerous male and female Baltimore Orioles in the Lotus leaves and flowers, on the west side of the causeway to the beach at East Harbor. Our total tally of bird species for the day was 74. As we headed home, our hopes of finding a Little Blue Heron and an American White Pelican, quickly faded away. Fourteen hours later, we were back to the comforts of home. Denise and I are now at 290 for Ohio in 2013.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County