OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:03:22 -0700
There has been a SWALLOW-TAILED KITE in Dearborn County, IN, west of Cincinnati,OH, for about a week.  I first saw it as a fly-over on Friday, Aug. 16, on Elm Circle Dr. and at 5599 Dutch Hollow Rd., Aurora, IN , in the afternoon.  I went back this morning, 8/19, and had much better looks.  The best time to see this bird is in the morning, between 9:15-9:45am, when it rests on a dead branch and preens itself.  It was seen on Sat and Sun (Aug 17 & 18) in a tree behind a house on Dutch Hollow Rd, between Elm Circle Dr. and Trevor Dr.  Today, I found it on a snag in an overgrown lot on Trevor.  I was able to sit in my car and watch it for 40 minutes, from 9:30-10:10am.  Great looks despite the fog, even without optics.

Directions:  Take SR 50 west through Lawrenceburg and Aurora, turn left on Dutch Hollow Rd, just after the firehouse.  Dutch Hollow makes a hard right; continue following till you pass a high tension electricity tower at Stone Creek Rd.  The next left is Elm Circle Dr - I saw it flying over the houses on this dead-end residential cul de sac on Friday.  The house where it perched over the weekend is on the right between Elm Circle and Trevor, approximately 5395 Dutch Hollow Rd.  Other birders who visited there spoke to the owners, and said they were interested in the finding and what birders had to tell them about it.  The next right after that is Trevor Dr., another dead-end street.

Dutch Hollow is a twisting, ridge-top country road with very few convenient pull-offs.  Please DO NOT park in private driveways or obstruct traffic.  Elm Circle is residential, with no public parking.  Trevor has a grassy berm on the edge of the field where I saw the bird today where you can pull over and get off the road. If the bird is at the home on Dutch Hollow, your best bet is to park on Trevor and walk back.

Photos can be seen on my Flickr account.    http://www.flickr.com/photos/78845083@N06/sets/72157635096387775/

This is just across the river from the two STKI that were found in Boone County, KY last Aug, and very near the STKI seen in Lawrenceburg, IN
back in Aug, 1997.  Now, all we have to do is get these birds across the border and into Hamilton County, OH.

Kathi Hutton,
reporting from Dearborn County, IN