OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:28:37 -0400
I headed back to Deer Creek again this beautiful sunny and windless morning. For the most part there wasn't too much difference to Sunday, but a few noteworthy birds may be of interest.

On the state park beach this morning a second year LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL joined a few Herring Gulls and several hundred Ring-billed Gulls.

In the middle wetland tract a similar selection of shorebirds were present. Species not seen on Sunday, but present today included one each of Long-billed Dowitcher and White-rumped Sandpiper, and several Wilson's Snipes.

Most of my time today was spent in the southern wetland area hoping to find my first Nelson's and LeConte's Sparrows of the season, but birdwise it seemed to be August 24th and not September. With the lack of wind Sedge Wrens were more conspicuous today and I came across 2 different family groups of parents with recently fledged young. Several others were still singing in the distance. Bobolinks were also present in larger flocks with probably close to 100 total present in the area. On both Sunday and today I flushed several Soras in the grasslands surrounding the marshes well away from water. Apparently they're finding some food in there. Grasshoppers perhaps? As far as sparrows go, only resident Song Sparrows were in the marshes and not a single Swamp or Savannah was to be found anywhere today let alone the Ammodramus species. Hopefully next week.....

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com