OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:28:05 -0400
Sorry for the second notice - Please NOTE -

Due to an unforeseen issue, Edward Burtt must move his talk for tomorrow
evening to Nov 18. In his place, his student, Cody Kent will present.  We
are delighted Cody can step in and present tomorrow evening.  Cody was our
Nov 18th speaker.  Thank you - Darlene

"The Microbial Ecosystem in Avian Plumage" - Cody M. Kent.

     Burtt and Ichida first published research on feather-degrading bacilli
on wild birds in 1999.  Cody's work with Dr. Burtt is a continuation of this
original research with, what has now become, a large data set including over
6,000 birds of 173 species. They have shown that these bacteria are common
among all birds, occurring in 42.2% of individuals. In fact, they found
these bacilli in all species for which they sampled more than four birds.
However, there is still variation in the amount of these bacilli by both
species and topography. They have explained some of the variation by
foraging strategy. Additionally, they have shown a strong correlation
between the presence of these bacteria and the amount of wear on feathers.
The frequent and variable occurrence of feather-degrading bacilli suggests
that they play a significant role in the deterioration of feathers and may
act as a selective force on color, behavior, and molt in a wide range of
taxa. To increase understanding of these bacteria, they currently are
studying a captive flock of European Starlings. They are regularly
monitoring their bacteria loads and hope to understand what role preening
and other factors may have in the amount of bacteria birds carry.

     Cody was introduced to birding by his grandmother sometime before
second grade and has been birding ever since. After taking the Ohio Birds
project in 4-H in third grade, he started keeping a life list. Since that
time his interests in nature have widened, but birds are still his central
focus. He has participated in the last eight Audubon Christmas Bird Counts
in either Crawford or Delaware County. At Ohio Wesleyan he worked as the lab
assistant for the Ornithology class. He intends to go to graduate school to
become a Zoology Professor, which will allow him to both teach about and
study birds.