OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:59:34 -0400

Hi All,

Don’t forget to register for the Ohio Avian Research
& Conservation Conference on Saturday, October 19th at Denison
University in Granville, Ohio.

The deadline to register is October 12th.

http://avianconservation.blogspot.com/2013/07/ohio-avian-research-conservation.html

We have a great line-up of speakers and topics including:

•“Population biology of Red-winged
Blackbirds on the Lake Erie Islands”—Sarah

Winnicki, Denison Univ.

• “Using knowledge networks and data
sharing to advance bird conservation &

research”—Megan Seymour, USFWS

• “Using avian radar and acoustic
monitors to quantify bird and bat migration along the Great Lakes shorelines:
Implications for pre-construction surveys and management”—Jeff Gosse, Ph.D.,
USFWS

•Sandhill Cranes in Ohio—Jason Tucker,
OSU

• “Processing Nestbox data for future
use”—Richard M. Tuttle

• “Seasonal
difference in water loss and lipid composition in the skin of House Sparrows

(Passer domesticus)"—Alex
Champagne, OSU

• “Demographic
response of the Hooded Warbler (Setophaga
citrine) in forest stands

with different habitat structure."—Kelly
Williams, Ph.D., Ohio University

• “Phylogeography
of two Appalachian songbirds"—Andy Jones, Ph.D. & Courtney

Brennan, Cleveland Museum
of Natural History

• “Making
sense of looney tunes: The role acoustic signals play in territory selection
and

defense by Common Loons (Gavia immer)."—Jay Mager,
Ph.D., Ohio Northern

University

•KEYNOTE “Alexander Wilson: Journeys
of a pioneer ornithologist, 1804-1813”—E.H. Burtt, Ph.D., Ohio Wesleyan
University

This conference is sponsored by The Dawes Arboretum,
Columbus Audubon, BioQuip & the East Central Ohio Audubon Society, and has
been endorsed by the Ohio Ornithological Society. *Student attendance scholarships are available from the Hocking County & Licking County Chapters of the Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalists.  Details are available at the site above.

*If your organization or agency would like to have an exhibit
table, there’s still time to purchase one through the event registration site.

This will be an exciting conference with a lot of
opportunities to further our understanding of birds, network, and have fun.

Come join us for a great opportunity on Saturday, October
19th at Denison University in Granville, Ohio!

Casey Tucker

Master’s Student

Miami University

Dept. of Zoology