Duck Stamp contest in Ohio

Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Sep 2013 21:37:55 -0400

text/plain

I haven't seen much mention of it here, but a major bird-related event is
coming to Ohio this weekend: the judging of the annual contest to select
the art for next year's Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp, aka
the Duck Stamp. The Duck Stamp is a tremendously successful program,
responsible for protecting millions of acres of prime wildlife habitat
since its inception in 1934. Many Ohio birders have benefited from its
local effect: funds from the Duck Stamp were responsible for acquiring much
of the acreage of Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, including habitat for
bitterns, rails, eagles, and migratory warblers, as well as ducks.

For more background on the stamp itself, its history, and the birders'
perspective on it, here's a link to an article that I posted a couple of
weeks ago:
http://birdingwithkennandkim.blogspot.com/2013/09/why-birders-buy-duck-stamp.html

The judging to choose next year's stamp design will take place at the Lodge
at Maumee Bay State Park, n.w. Ohio, this Friday and Saturday, Sept. 27 and
28. The event is open to the public. A schedule of activities is at this
link:
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/2013DuckStamp/schedule.html

At one time, the Duck Stamp was purchased mainly by duck hunters and a few
stamp collectors. In recent years, more and more birders have been buying
the stamp also, recognizing its value to bird conservation. So far, the
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service hasn't fully caught on to that -- which adds a
touch of irony to the fact that they're holding this year's contest in one
of the hottest birding regions of the continent. Still, many of us are
planning to attend some of this year's festivities, to continue to show our
support for effective conservation work.

I'll hope to see some of you there this weekend. The auto tour route at
Ottawa NWR is supposed to be open Thursday through Sunday, Sept. 26 through
29, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., so you could combine a visit to the contest site
with a visit to some of the habitat that has been protected by the Duck
Stamp in the past.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, OH