OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2013 20:10:34 -0400
There seems to be a late surge of migrant swifts working through Columbus now, after a slow week.  They're using different roosts than the flocks from earlier in the month.  Westerville and Gahanna roosts are dwindling or gone, but big flocks have formed around in-city chimneys.  Yesterday I had a group of 725 swirl into the chimney at St. John the Less church in the Oakland Park neighborhood (NE Columbus), while this evening another 500 dipped into the chimney of Eastmoor High School (East side of Columbus).  Even in the afternoon, I had small flocks feeding before the blustery rain clouds in north Columbus, so Columbus birders might want to check old chimneys nearby while the temperature is still mild.