OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2013

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:29:11 -0400
On Saturday I parked at Oak Hill lot and walked to Goosefeather Pond. I saw
one yellow-bellied sapsucker and two Swainson's thrushes near the lot. There
was a black-throated green warbler back by the pond. There was one adult
Cooper's hawk on the south side of the pond and one in juvenile plumage on
the north side of the pond. There was one black duck with the mallards in
the pond.

On Sunday I went to Horseshoe Pond/Tree Farm. I heard a vireo from the
parking lot. I found it a short distance along the trail. t turned out to be
a blue-headed vireo foraging in the low tree branches along with two
yellow-rumped warblers, some chickadees and some titmice. There must have
been something good to eat in this one particular small area. Along the main
loop trail you could hear and see golden-crowned kinglets in the dense
conifers. There were a lot of towhees calling all the way around the loop
trail. (I counted 10.) There were two yellow-bellied sapsuckers in a large
dead tree near the service road on the west edge of this area. The two
red-bellied woodpeckers in the same tree were not happy with the sapsuckers
and tried to move them along. Two Cooper's hawks flew out of the trees close
by as I was watching the woodpeckers.

My chimney swift observation: There were 20 chimney swift swarming around
the (new) Garfield Heights library branch this morning. One Cooper's hawk
was circling slowly nearby.